Certificate in TESOL (120 Hours)
It is a must to receive the internationally recognized TESOL Certificate and License to teach English anywhere in the world. Our graduates successfully integrate into the international community of teachers and learners of English in countries where there is a need in professional providers of quality language education. Please join us to receive your worldwide recognized TESOL certificate. You will find this course of great benefit as you embark upon a career in TEFL/TESOL.
This course includes thorough analysis of the English language, grammar and parts of speech, with an emphasis on form, functions and phonology. The structure and usage of language are examined with careful reference to foreign students and anticipated teaching problems. The trainees are taught how to estimate probable length of teaching time and also a logical teaching order. Contexts are examined with a view to relevancy, usefulness and cultural sensitivity. An overall study of the language skills is emphasized with particular reference to listening, understanding, speaking, reading, writing and sub skills within those categories. Different types of lessons are studied; specifically grammar and skills, with the emphasis on their contribution and effectiveness to a balanced syllabus. Much of the grammar is designated independent study followed by supervised testing.
Through demonstrations, a hands-on approach to teaching techniques is emphasized. These techniques include giving instructions, eliciting, modeling highlighting, checking, correcting, blackboard use, voice projection and manner. Included in this course is an overview of classroom control, cultural awareness and dealing with student problems. Trainees are taught how to use course books effectively, how to plan lessons and syllabi, how to test and use communication activities including games, music, role-play, multimedia resources, etc.
Teaching Practice and critique
This course gives the trainees a chance to make practical use of their theoretical knowledge. Teaching practice is done in groups, one instructor and a class of foreign students. Each trainee is assigned carefully monitored teaching points progressing from 20 minutes in duration to 40 minutes by the end of the course. In order to give trainees as much experience as possible, they are assigned different types of lessons and opportunities to practice teaching with different levels of foreign students. An important part of this course is critiquing; trainees are taught how to critique their own as well as other people’s lessons. The emphasis is on focus and overall relevancy, rather than insignificant details.
TESOL sessions cover the following areas:
- Lesson planning
- Staging a lesson: presentation/practice/production
- Communicative skills
- Teaching speaking
- Teaching grammar
- Teaching vocabulary
- Teaching pronunciation
- Drills and dialogues
- Error analysis and correction
- Course books
- Alternative methodologies
- Drama techniques/role-play/music
- Individualized learning
- Listening comprehension
- Reading comprehension
- Guided writing
- Class management
- Business English
- Testing in ESL/EFL/ESOL
- One-to-one teaching
- International job market
- Using multimedia in language teaching
- LAS® or License of Advance Standing for Teachers of International English® has been approved to be put to practice as the means of evaluation of the level of certified teachers and a form of distinction.
- The implementation of LAS® was necessitated to avoid fraud and improper use of the TIELC certification system, thus fostering the just and fair evaluation of graduate credentials.
- Keeping the certified teachers annually evaluated and fit for teaching positions.
- Tracking of progress and professional growth of the certified teacher.
- Matching constantly upgrading demands of employers.
- Qualifying the certified teacher for changing educational standards.
LAS® is a merit-based document which is a proof of:
- outstanding skills of the TESOL Certified graduate
- preparedness to practice the acquired skills of a professional teacher
- ability to produce high-quality classroom teaching
- commitment to uphold high standards of TESOL teaching methodology
- international qualifications of a certified teacher
LAS® is a supplementary document affixed to the TESOL Certificate. Without the certificate LAS® has no validity. TESOL Certificate cannot be substituted by LAS®.
The Best Experience Ever
Program Admission Requirements:
- Completion of high school
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
Program Costs in Canadian Dollars ($CDN):
- In-class Course $ 1500
- Online Course $ 500